If you love to bake, you know that pastry is one of the most versatile and delicious ingredients. But what do you do with all of the leftover pastry scraps from your baking projects? Instead of tossing them in the trash, transform them into delicious mini cherry cheese danishes.
These bite-sized treats are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a sweet snack. With a flaky, buttery pastry base and a creamy, tangy cheese and cherry filling, they’re sure to become a new favorite in your household.
To make mini cherry cheese danishes, you’ll need a few basic ingredients: leftover pastry scraps, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cherry preserves. You’ll also need a muffin tin and a few simple kitchen tools.
First, preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a muffin tin with cooking spray. Next, roll out your leftover pastry scraps into a thin sheet, then use a cookie cutter or cup to cut out circles that will fit into the muffin cups.
Press the pastry circles into the muffin cups, making sure to create a small well in the center of each one. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the center of each pastry cup, then add a dollop of cherry preserves on top.
Bake the mini cherry cheese danishes in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is set. Allow them to cool slightly before serving, and enjoy!
Not only are these mini cherry cheese danishes a delicious way to use up leftover pastry scraps, but they’re also easy to customize with different fillings. Try swapping out the cherry preserves for your favorite fruit jam, or add some chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture for added texture.
In addition to being a tasty treat, mini cherry cheese danishes also make a great gift or party favor. Wrap them up in a cute box or bag and give them to friends and family for a special occasion, or serve them at your next gathering for a crowd-pleasing dessert.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, mini cherry cheese danishes are a simple and delicious way to elevate your pastry game. Give them a try the next time you have leftover scraps, and enjoy the sweet, tangy, and buttery flavors of this delightful treat.
Some tips to keep in mind while making mini cherry cheese danishes:
- If you don’t have leftover pastry scraps, you can also use store-bought puff pastry dough for this recipe.
- Make sure to leave a well in the center of each pastry cup to prevent the filling from spilling over the edges.
- You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer to make the cream cheese filling, but mixing by hand works just as well.
- Experiment with different fillings to find your favorite flavor combinations, such as raspberry jam and almond paste, or Nutella and chopped hazelnuts.
- These mini cherry cheese danishes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply pop them in the oven at 350°F for a few minutes until warmed through.
Transform Your Leftover Pastry into Mini Cherry Cheese Danishes
If you love baking, you know the feeling of opening your fridge to find a box of leftover pastry dough. While it’s tempting to throw it away or let it go stale, don’t waste it! You can transform it into a delicious dessert that your family and friends will love. Mini cherry cheese danishes are the perfect treat for any occasion, and they’re surprisingly easy to make.
Are you tired of having leftover pastry dough after making a pie or tart? Don’t let that dough go to waste! With a few simple ingredients, you can transform your leftover pastry into delicious mini cherry cheese danishes.
These bite-sized pastries are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as a sweet snack. They’re easy to make, and the best part is that you can customize them to your liking by using different fillings.
- Leftover pastry dough
- 1/2 cup of cherry jam
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll out the leftover pastry dough into a thin sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough into 3-inch squares using a sharp knife or a pastry cutter.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Spoon a teaspoon of cherry jam onto each pastry square and spread it out slightly.
- Top each pastry square with a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture.
- Brush the edges of each pastry square with the beaten egg.
- Fold two opposite corners of each square toward the center, overlapping slightly and pinching to seal.
- Place the mini danishes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch of space between each one.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and the remaining beaten egg.
- Brush the top of each danish with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Allow the mini danishes to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- If desired, dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Tips and Ideas
- If you don’t have cherry jam, you can substitute it with any other type of jam or fruit preserve that you have on hand.
- You can also use cream cheese mixed with a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup instead of sugar for a slightly sweeter filling.
- If you don’t have a pastry cutter, you can use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut the pastry dough into squares.
- If you don’t have parchment paper, you can use a non-stick baking mat or grease the baking sheet with a little bit of butter or oil.
- If you want to make the mini danishes in advance, you can freeze them before baking. Simply place the unbaked danishes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until firm. Once they’re frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag and store in the freezer for up to a month. When you’re ready to bake them, simply take them out of the freezer, brush them with the egg wash, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Transform your leftover pastry scraps into a delicious treat with these mini cherry cheese danishes. They’re easy to make, and the perfect way to use up any leftover dough you have on hand. Give them a try, and you won’t be disappointed!