Welcome to your cozy night in with this delicious crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe. This classic comfort food is perfect for a chilly evening, and the slow cooker makes it easy to prepare.
The warm and hearty meal is made with tender chunks of chicken, creamy soup, and fluffy dumplings that are cooked to perfection. It’s a family favorite that is sure to satisfy everyone’s taste buds.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it can be prepped in the morning and left to cook all day, so dinner is ready when you are. Here are some tips and ideas to help you make the most of this crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe.
Looking for a warm, hearty meal that’s easy to make? Look no further than crockpot chicken and dumplings! This classic comfort food is perfect for a cozy night in, and with the help of a slow cooker, it practically makes itself.
To get started, gather your ingredients. You’ll need chicken thighs or breasts, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, chopped onion and garlic, sliced carrots and celery, and seasonings like thyme, parsley, and bay leaves. For the dumplings, you’ll need flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and butter.
Begin by placing your chicken in the crockpot and adding in the broth, soup, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and seasonings. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Once the chicken is cooked, it’s time to make the dumplings. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, then stir in the milk until a soft dough forms. Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the surface of the stew, then cover and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
Looking for ways to mix up this classic recipe? Try adding in some frozen peas, corn, or green beans for a pop of color and nutrition. You can also swap out the chicken for beef or pork, or even make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth and skipping the meat altogether.
Want to make this recipe even easier? Consider using pre-made dumplings instead of making them from scratch. You can usually find them in the refrigerated section of your grocery store, and they’re a great time-saver. Simply drop them into the stew during the last 30-45 minutes of cooking, and you’re good to go!
Tips for Making Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs for the recipe.
- Cut the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces before adding it to the crockpot.
- For added flavor, sauté the chicken in a pan with some butter or oil before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Use condensed cream of chicken soup and condensed cream of mushroom soup for a creamy and delicious sauce.
- For a thicker sauce, mix in some cornstarch with the soup mixture before adding it to the crockpot.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables to the crockpot for a boost of nutrition and flavor.
- For extra dumplings, double the recipe and drop spoonfuls of the dough on top of the chicken mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ideas for Serving Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Crockpot chicken and dumplings is a versatile dish that can be served in many different ways. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Serve with a side of roasted vegetables or a salad for a well-rounded meal.
- Top with fresh herbs like parsley or chives for a burst of color and flavor.
- Pair with crusty bread for sopping up the delicious sauce.
- For a heartier meal, serve over a bed of mashed potatoes.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Here is a basic recipe for crockpot chicken and dumplings:
- In a slow cooker, combine boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, diced onion, and frozen mixed vegetables.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, mix together the dumpling ingredients in a separate bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and melted butter.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture on top of the chicken mixture in the crockpot. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes on high or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Crockpot chicken and dumplings is the perfect meal for a cold winter night, a rainy day, or anytime you’re craving something warm and comforting. And with the help of a slow cooker, it’s easier than ever to make. So grab your ingredients and get cooking!